advertisment

Sunday 2 August 2015

World of Fashion Mourns the Loss of Renowned Designer Alexander McQueen

LONDON, ENGLAND – Readers of this blog will probably be curious to know why I am writing about fashion – a topic rarely discussed at NativeJournalist.com. When I heard the news this morning that fashion designer Alexander McQueen died of an apparent suicide I felt I had to blog about it. While I am a self-proclaimed shop-a-holic (yes, sadly it’s true), I would normally choose to leave fashion news for my new (and upcoming) blog – plug coming soon – and let this blog continue to touch upon more “hard-hitting” issues (most of the time). However, what struck me about this event is that McQueen took his own life. This is something Native people know much too personally as the rates of suicide within the Native American community are about 1.5 times higher than US national rates.


Many will agree that McQueen was a genius. His designs were dark, shocking, and and always pushed the envelope. His creativity and willingness to take artistic risks will be greatly missed. R.I.P. Alexander McQueen.
If you or someone you know might be considering committing suicide, please seek help. Trained counselors at the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline are available 24/7: 1-800-273-TALK (8255). A call to them is free and confidential and they have a nationwide network of crisis centers.
Tough times will come and go and I know it can be hard, but keep on holding on. Your life is a gift, not just to you, but to the world. Remind yourself that you are loved and that you can make a positive impact. There is a light at the end of the tunnel. Reach out and just keep holding on, things will get better. We need you! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment